6 Easter Toxins for pets

Posted on

It’s almost Easter, a time where family come together to make memorable moments, egg hunts take place in the garden, Spring is (finally!) showing its pretty face and most importantly it marks the end of lent (time to enjoy a treat or two!).

However, there are some toxins that you should be aware of that could be dangerous for your cat or dog that may be around during Easter and Spring.

 

Chocolate

Would it be Easter without a few Easter eggs knocking about?

However, as we explored in our Winter and Christmas Dangers blog chocolate is extremely poisonous to cats and dogs. The reason for this is it contains Theobromine, a stimulant which can cause kidney failure. So, make sure you keep your eggs (and other choccy) out of your pet’s reach!

 

Alcohol

Picture this, the family are over, you’ve just eaten a lovely roast, and now its time to crack open a nice cold bevvy to continue the celebrations.

While most pets dislike the taste of alcohol and will avoid it, sometimes situations are out of our hands and a pet may accidentally get hold of something with alcohol in it.

If your pet has consumed any alcohol, it is important that they see their vet as soon as possible to be treated as if they have ingested a large amount, it could be fatal to them.

 

Raisins

You can’t beat a delicious hot cross bun over the Easter period, or any time for that matter!

But be sure to keep these delicious treats away from your dog as they can cause kidney damage and kidney failure if consumed.

This is due to the Raisins in them, and grapes are just as dangerous too!

 

Spring Flowers

As beautiful as they are, and a sure sign that spring has sprung, sadly some spring flowers are off limits to our 4 pawed friends. Tulips, Daffodils, Snowdrops, Bluebells and Crocus are poisonous to dogs if ingested and Lilies and Daffodils are poisonous to cats.

Make sure your pets stay away from these species of flower by ensuring they don’t have access to them in your home or garden. Most importantly, if you think your pet has eaten any of these flowers, it is extremely important that they visit a vet immediately.

 

Plant fertilisers

The sun is out and naturally you may want to spruce up your garden, ready for a summer BBQ! But some of the ingredients in plant fertilisers are poisonous to your pet if they happen to eat it.

Keep your pet safe by making sure you only use them in areas that your pet won’t visit, and always make sure they are stored out of their reach!

 

Cleaning products

Following on from sprucing up the garden, and if you’re partial to a spring clean, most cleaning products are poisonous to your pet. Like with the fertiliser it is imperative that cleaning products are kept away from your pet, and that if you think your pet has ingested any they see a vet immediately.

 

Bonus: Leftovers

Although giving your pet your yummy Easter leftovers isn’t toxic to them, treating your pet to some scraps could lead to problems such as an upset stomach or in some cases much worse.

You may have a dog that can dig through your dustbin, or they may even help themselves to food from the kitchen counter or table. So, make sure your Easter Feast stays out of your pet’s way and remember to only feed your pet, their normal food to ensure that they have a balanced diet.

© 2022 Wikipet. All rights reserved.
Website by Kanuka Digital.